Thursday, July 17, 2008

Canandiagua to Liverpool

Today I left the hotel at 7:30. The temperature was low 70’s.

I navigated a series of mildly rolling hills through farmland and small towns. This is the Finger Lakes area and we are riding across New York at the North end of some of the lakes. As I entered the town of Geneva I came into sight of Seneca Lake. It is a large body of water with much boating business visible with marinas and boat sales establishments. Also, there were a fair amount of nice hotels for vacationers to stay near the lake. This would be an interesting place to explore more. Unfortunately I’m just passing through on my way to Liverpool which is near Syracuse. Many times on this cross country bicycle tour I have seen places that I would like to return to and spend several days exploring. Part of the route today followed the Erie Canal.

At the only SAG stop of the day I noticed dark clouds to the north and west. I decided to get on the road so I would have a chance of getting to the hotel before any wet weather developed. As I rode it got darker and darker. It was eerily still and muggy as just before a rain. Finally at 43 miles it began raining so I stopped to put my phone, camera and wallet in a water proof baggy. I continued on for several miles and it rained more as I went. Apparently this system was following the same directional course that I was. I had seen Kip and CJ ahead before I stopped to protect my phone and camera so I kept an eye open to see if they had stopped to take shelter. I notice a gas station convenience store on my left and as I approached I saw two bicycles and then heard Kip’s shrill whistle as they motioned for me to join them. I quickly accepted the invite. I got a cup of coffee and an old fashioned donut, and they ordered a sub sandwich. We sat at the protected picnic tables and enjoyed our food as it rained gently. By the time we were finished the rain had let up and the sky was brighter. We resumed our journey and although we were wet the temperature was still above 70 so we were not cold. Since the roads were wet we got a good shower every time a big truck passed us.

Eventually the roads dried, and we caught up to some other riders who had stopped at the Erie Canal Park to take photos. Now we were part of a group of about ten riders who finished out the last ten miles together. We arrived at the hotel to complete our 69 mile day at 1:00 PM.

They are having a major classic car show in this town this weekend and throughout the day we saw many nicely restored and some customized cars on their way to this town. One old custom car passed me in the rain today. It had no windows, so the driver was getting wet. After arriving in Liverpool they seem to be everywhere. Several are parked in the hotel where we are staying.

After two days of getting rain showers the bikes was very dirty. The hotel had a bike cleaning station setup at the end of the hotel and I took advantage of it. I wiped down the bike frame and wheels with a damp rag, then degreased the chain and cassette before applying fresh lube.

I am savoring these last days of the tour. There will be more challenges ahead with the mountains of Vermont. It will be over in just five more days.












2 comments:

Ron said...

Jay. It is good to hear you say that you are "savoring" these last few days of your cross-country trek. That says that in spite of the hardships you have gained so much from the adventure. Keep on pedaling. //Ron

Anonymous said...

Everyday I look forward to your comments on this great adventure. Thanks for taking the time to stay connected to everyone, it really draws me into your experience and your life. You have wonderful friends and family!

Go Jay, go!
Dennis in AK