Thursday, July 3, 2008

Kirksville, MO to Quincy, IL



Today we waked to a steady rain. Not what we wanted to see. We have been so fortunate to have good weather most of the trip. I guess the odds were that we would get rained on eventually.

I dug out my rain gear and prepared for a wet ride. It was a very wet ride for the first 25 miles to the first SAG stop. I didn’t eat enough at the first SAG stop and so ran low on energy getting to the next SAG stop at 59 miles. I also had a flat tire about 5 miles from the second SAG stop. Rick and I were expecting the new tires we ordered to be delivered to the hotel in Quincy. So after this flat I was really eager to get the new tires. I think I’ve had four flats so far and all of them have been on the rear tire.

Weather conditions improved after the first 25 miles and by 30 no rain was falling. Hooray! However a stiff headwind developed slowing progress. The day’s route had even more hills than yesterday so we did a lot of flying down hills and grinding up the other side. By the time we arrived at the hotel my knees were aching.

This was our last day in Missouri and the ABB staff had to make alternate plans to shuttle us across the Mississippi river since the ferry was out of service as a result of the flooding. They went out last evening and scoped out a different route than the usual. They had us meet at a truck stop on the Missouri side and wait for the van. They loaded our bikes on top of the van and us inside and took us across a busy bridge into Quincy where they dropped us off to ride the final 3 miles to the hotel. As we crossed the river you could see results of the flooding.

When we checked in at the hotel the first thing we did was to inquire whether a package had been delivered for us. Sure enough! We have new tires. During mechanics hours after supper this evening Rick and I both got our new tires installed.

I pray for clear skies and a tailwind tomorrow as we are scheduled to ride 108 miles to Springfield, IL.

1 comment:

matt said...

I love that pick of you on the bridge, pops. It gives us a lot of information regarding your trip.

1. I see the road rash on your left knee. Seems to be healing nicely.

2. You seem to be having a good bit of fun (why else would you straddle a bridge railing like a giddy 3rd grader?).

3. Your hair is entirely too long. Dirty-hippyish long. Get a haircut, boy!

Congrats on entering Illinois. Do yourself a favor and eat some deepdish pizza