Thursday, July 10, 2008

Richmond, Indiana to Marysville, Ohio

This morning after breakfast we loaded luggage and left Richmond, IN. The weather was almost perfect. It was 59 degrees, clear blue sky and no wind. We had a short 2.7 miles to the Ohio state line. Check off another state. We along with a few other riders gathered for photos at the Ohio sign.

Western Ohio is very scenic. There were many small farms along the route, unlike the mega farms of Kansas. Some farms building were in disrepair and some were immaculately maintained. The terrain was rolling with increasing hills. We were greeted by quite a few dogs. Some were large and threatening and some were yappy little pooches. Thankfully they were all fenced.

Today Rick and I stopped for lunch at 68 miles in a little town named St Paris. There was a little Café that had sandwiches. It was owned by the friendly mayor who was working in the store. I had a turkey Panini with lettuce tomato and mayo, chips and a drink.

On arriving in Marysville Rick spotted an ice cream store so we stopped for some cold refreshing ice cream before proceeding the last miles to the hotel.

I was surprised by a package when I checked into the hotel on completing the ride. My daughter Allison sent me cookies! It is always great to get treats from my family. I feel the love! There was a card in an envelope addressed to M. Jay “Pedalswift” Rohrer. It has a nice ring to it don’t you think? I don’t always feel so swift.

I have noticed that I usually start off the day riding strong and feel that way maybe the first 40 miles or so. This takes me to the first SAG stop where I eat nectarines or bananas or both, some salty snacks and maybe some cookies and drink water. After that I sometimes feel sluggish and not as energetic. Today being 107 miles I did not feel energetic for the last 25 miles. I’m going to try something different tomorrow. I’m going to pack along a couple two or three cookies and eat them while riding, before the first SAG stop. I may be using up most of my stored energy from dinner and breakfast and not refueling soon enough. I also may try a cup of coffee with lunch. While training for this ride I would often stop in Ashland for a cup of coffee at the Ashland Tea & Coffee shop. I always felt reenergized after that.

It’s hard to believe that we are actually just 12 days away from finishing this cross country adventure. Tomorrow we will ride another century (103 miles). We will also reach the significant milestone of having reached the 3,000 mile point on this trip.

Response to comments from yesterday:

Matt, Yes Wade and Eunice lived in Dayton, Ohio at one time and we visited them there.

Mike from Dominion, I appreciate your frequent comments. When I reached Richmond yesterday I had a momentary brain flash “I’m Home”. I quickly snapped out of it. I have about another 800 miles of discovery on a bike before my family shuttles me back to Richmond, VA.

2 comments:

matt said...

Great writeup, Pedalswift. I think your new strategy of eating cookies is a good one. I might try out that strategy this morning as well.

I hope the 2nd century goes well, and congrats on accomplishing 3000 miles. That's unreal.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jay,
I am following your trip everyday.
Your are doing great.
Keep on riding - Pedalswift.

I understand that there is a man in his 70s who
climbed the Mt. Everest.
Have you thought about this?

Phil