Sunday, June 1, 2008

San Francisco-Fairfield




Finally we are on our way. The day started very early with a wake up call at 5:00 AM. After breakfast and loading luggage we were off at 7:00 AM. It was cool in the lowers 50’s with a strong wind out of the West. During the day it warmed up nicely reaching the mid 70’s.

Here's a pic of Rick Tangard, one of my roommates, and I before departure this morning.

My dear wife Pat saw me off at the hotel and then I saw her three more times along the route. She catches the red eye flight back to Richmond tonight.

The ride started with a steep climb of about a mile and then after after 17 miles we met at the Pacific Ocean for the traditional wheel dipping and group picture taking. The scenery on our way was awesome with the white caps on the Pacific, the Golden gate bridge, and the San Francisco skyline. We all Stopped at the Golden Gate Bridge for more scenery and pictures. We rode through Sausalito and other quaint towns along the way. We had two rest stops with fluids and snacks provided by the ride by ABB (America By Bike) during theday’s ride.

It was interesting how riders developed pace groups collaborating on navigation. I rode with various groups eventually riding the last 30 miles with Rick Tangard from Richmond. Interestingly Rick is a member of the same Richmond bicycle club I am, RABA. Rick and I stopped at a Pop Eyes for some real food and cold drinks and a much needed break from the bicycle seat about the 70 mile point. We finished the day at about 4:20 PM after pedaling 85 miles. That’s my longest one day ride.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jay, I looked at the trip on the ABB site and it looks awesome! I've added your bog link to my Dom homepage so I look at it every day. I'll be with you in spirit.

Anonymous said...

Jay,

What an exciting opportunity for you! Here's hoping and praying that you (and your bike!) enjoy good health. May you also enjoy seeing God's creation up close as you experience the varieties of landscapes on the way east.

All the best!

Les Hornig

matt said...

Pics are great, and it looks like you're having fun. I couldn't believe how excited I was to read your blog this morning. Keep the pics and stories coming.

Anonymous said...

Don and I will be with you the whole trip but only in thoughts and prayers We wish we were young enough to do this it sounds like a great adventure and wish you and your bike success. Keep the pictures coming. We will touch base with Pat while you are gone.
God Speed and God Bless

Denny said...

Jay, your smile shows how excited you were to be finally setting out on your bicycle trip after months of planning and training. Keep pedaling and smiling and we will be checking up on your daily progress across the country

Jim said...

Great shot at the Golden Gate, Jay. Wish I could be there sucking your wheel. The Richmond TD had a nice article about your roommate Rick and his fund-raising ride. Who gets the cot tonight?

Pat said...

Awesome watching you ride across the GG Bridge. Seems just like yesterday.....oh, it was.
love, pat and bailey too