Monday, June 23, 2008

Lamar, Co. to Garden City, Ks.

The temperature was low 60’s with blue skies at time of departure. The temperature gradually warmed until it became uncomfortable a little after Noon. Although not as hot as yesterday, the combination of heat and wind made progress over the last 25 miles difficult. My bike computer said 104 degrees so air temp was maybe low to mid 90’s.

Today we entered our fifth state. We are in Kansas now. We have ridden a little over 1,600 miles on bicycles! That’s also nearly half of the 3,800 for the total trip. We rode 104 miles today. That’s on top of the 121 we did yesterday. We are all very thankful for the 51 mile route planned for tomorrow.

We continue to travel on RT. 50. The terrain is mostly flat, but we were surprised with some rolling hills. We entered Kansas about 33 miles into our route. Again the scenery was similar to yesterday with planted crops irrigated by different methods. Some had a network of moving sprinkle systems spraying water and in other cases it appeared that the rows of planted crops were flooded with water from the network of irrigation trenches. Also now we are seeing large grain storage complexes, and as we neared Garden City more cattle lots and a Tyson plant.

As we entered Kansas we passed through the small town of Coolige and then Syracuse. The destination we looked forward to today was the town of Lakin at 78 miles. The attraction was the Dairy Queen next to the SAG stop.

I had more tire issues today. I had replaced my rear tire two days ago because it had developed a bulge in the sidewall. I installed that tire before I left home and had put a couple hundred miles on it, so with the trip it had maybe 1,800 miles and still had considerable tread wear left. The new tire that I installed failed today with a bulge in the tread line. The ABB staff installed a spare tire from their supply at the first SAG stop. I now need to buy some new tires. I will save this tire and maybe Jay, the Manager at my LBS will give me a refund when I return.

Mark, thanks for your suggestion of tire to provide more dependability. The next bike shop we have, I plan to get a set of Continental Gator skins. Several others have purchased those tires recently and installed them. The Kevlar belts should help.

As we were struggling against the wind at 99 miles all I could think about was that I just had 5 more miles. I was very tired, sun baked, and ready for the ride to be done for the day. Auto and truck traffic was heavy as we neared Garden City and there was an increasing amount of debris on the shoulder to contend with. Suddenly I noticed that my bike felt mushy rather than its usual sure footedness. I looked down, and to my distress the tire was going flat. I was so upset. I stopped and removed my rear wheel and sat in the grass dejectedly scanning the tire for the offending piece of debris. At this point I was just too tired to stand. I quickly found a very small piece of glass that had gone through the tire and punctured the tube. By this time my friend and riding partner Rick noticed hat I had stopped and returned to help with the repair. I felt a sense of relief as he took the wheel from me and quickly removed the tire in preparation for the new tube. Re-energized I stood up helped install the new tube, inflated it and installed it on my bike.

I carry one spare tube and have a patch kit incase I had already used my spare tube. I can always call the Support van if I’ve used all my supplies and still have a flat. I nearly always ride with Rick and he carries three spare tubes in his bag.

With the tire repaired we resumed our journey arriving at the hotel at 3:30 PM. There was Ice water and cookies offered by the hotel staff as we entered the lobby to check in. This was a welcome treat for very tired riders.

I have just completed my second century ride in two days barely a day after being racked by the intestinal bug. The first day I felt pretty strong for the first ¾ of the ride then faded some on the last stretch. Today I felt really strong for the first ¾ and then again faded some on the last stretch. In spite of our struggle with the wind and heat late today, we had a moving averaged of 17.6 for the 104 miles. Not bad! To quote my riding partner Rick, he said, “This was because of our astonishing level of fitness”. We averaged over 20 mph for the first 35 miles.

In closing today our thoughts are for Bob who had an accident yesterday and is the hospital as a result. Please join us riders in praying for his full recovery.

7 comments:

Jim said...

Jay, I if you can find any vittoria tires at a bike shop, I would vouch for them. I did my coast-to-coast plus a full randonneuring season on my vittoria randonneur pro tire, with zero flats. Mine was much larger than you would want, at 700 x 35, but they make a 700 x 28 or 25 that would work well for you. I also used a panaracer pasela tourgard that I rode about 2500 miles with no flats.

I hope you can get the tire problem solved so you can get full enjoyment out of those triple-digit temps and headwinds.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Bob

Anonymous said...

Hi Jay.

Just realised that my "posting" from small group likely did not make the cut due to an error at this end. Glad to see you are well and up and running again. Hard to believe (from this side at least) how quickly you seem to be headng this way; nearly half way! Stay safe and continue to enjoy yourself.

Anonymous said...

Jay, good call on getting some kevlar-belted tires, I did that after a frustrating season of flats. The only flat I have had since then was a snake-bite.

Now that you are in Kansas, maybe you can tap your red shoes and just fly along the rest of the journey!---Mike

Anonymous said...

Jay,

I read you might be having saddle sore issues. A couple of ideas:
As soon as the ride is over, get out of the riding shorts.
Use antibacterial soap.
Soak in a hot tub.
Dry completly and apply preparation H (it will shrink them)
Next morning - cover them with mole skin to stop the irration and rubbing

Also, get some effirdent tablets and drop on in your water bottle every 3 days - it will eliminate germs and odors.

Drop me a line if you need anything - you know my address
Mark Lackey

matt said...

Congrats on the back to back centuries (again). I can't imagine the frustration you feel when repeatedly dealing with flats. That coupled with the exhaustion of a hundred mile ride would probably make me toss my bike.

Speaking of bikes, how's the old Roubaix treating you? Have you come to know it like an old friend? Or perhaps a roommate you wished would move out?

Keep it up!

Ron said...

Jay. Congratulations on reaching Kansas and nearing the midpoint of your odyssey. The tire problem must be very frustrating. It is good to know that you can call the sag wagon if needed. Are you using a hand pump or CO2 cartridges to inflate replaced tubes? //Ron

Administrator said...

Jay. You're half way home. Congratulations! Good luck on finding tough tires that will handle the highway glass and get you to New Hampshire.

I will see you there,

Mark K