Thursday, June 26, 2008

Great Bend to Mcpherson









Today we rode 64 miles on our route from Great Bend to McPherson Kansas. We arrived in McPherson before noon. Our track took us took us due East. We had a South wind of about 12 mph that came across the wheat fields and pushed us around on the shoulder. This is the more scenic part of Kansas with more contour to the terrain and more trees, green grasses and crops.

The temperature was mid 60’s when we left and had risen to upper 80’s by the time we arrived. I can tell that the humidity is increasing as we progress east.

The road shoulder started off with a chip and seal surface as we left Great Bend and was this way several miles before changing to a smoother rolled surface. This Chip and seal is basically tar base with gravel spread over it and has not been rolled smooth. It is very rough which affects the ride quality on the bike. This generates a lot of vibration that transmits through the bike seat, handle bars, and pedals, making for a very uncomfortable ride. It also effectively reduces the speed of forward progress. Yesterday we encountered some of the same shoulder surface conditions. Some of the bikers including me were getting on the edge of the road which was much smoother to eliminate the negative effects. The problem with this was that when vehicles approach there very little room for two vehicles passing each other safely with bikes traveling on the road edge. The ABB staff was very direct in discussing this at route RAP last evening and stressing that we have to ride on the shoulder. Realizing the wisdom of this we stayed on the shoulder today.

Today I felt my energy level was down for some reason. I tried to drink water but the water didn’t taste good, I added Gatorade powder at the SAG stop, and the Gatorade flavor didn’t taste good. While riding I fantasized about having a sweet iced drink. When we arrive in McPherson we stopped at a McDonalds and I got an iced orange drink and a chicken sandwich. I have always like McDonalds orange drinks. It was so refreshing. After checking in to the hotel room and getting cleaned up I took a long nap.

Tomorrow as we travel north to Abilene we will be on more country roads and less traffic that will good change. Abilene was the home of past president Ike Eisenhower and there is an Eisenhower Center in Abilene close to the hotel. I hope to be able to take that in.

This evening I met my friend Mike Krehbiel who I had not seen since my wedding in 1969. He lives in McPherson Kansas. It was a great reunion! I met his wife Margaret, a very nice lady. They treated me to a nice dinner at a local restaurant and topped it off with a chocolate cake and ice cream dessert that we shared. Mike and I reminisced about our days as roommates in Chicago in the late 60’s and caught up on some of the events in each of our lives from then to now. He is a big sports fan and follows the Kansas City Royals. Mike has a farming background here in Kansas and when I called him today to let him know I had arrived, he was helping a friend harvest the wheat crop. It’s amazing how when so much time has passed, you can reconnect with friends you’ve not seen for years so quickly. I hope Mike and Margaret can visit Pat and me in Virginia in the future.

No comments: