Friday, June 20, 2008

Gunnison to Salida to Pueblo













Riding from coast to coast is a major challenge. Actually it is a series of challenges. Today was one of the big days in our ride maybe the biggest for me. I admit that I have looked forward to this day with excitement, but also some apprehension. These feelings were shared by many of the other riders. Think about it, ride a steep grade for nine miles and as you progress into increasing altitude the air becomes thinner making it more difficult to breath.

During the ride when the scenery is not especially eye grabbing, or the heat is getting to me or a particular part of my body is hurting. I break the day down into segments. I focus on the next ten miles, or the next SAG stop.

When the day’s route includes Monarch Pass at the continental divide I focused on much smaller segments. As I began riding up the steep nine miles grade, I decided I would make it one mile at a time. If I felt like I needed a break after that mile, I would stop get a drink and catch my breath and maybe take a photo. As I progressed it got more and more difficult. I took even more frequent breaks to catch my breath.

Finally the summit was in sight. Well I made it! It was a tremendous feeling of relief and accomplishment. I was exhausted. The summit sign documented the elevation at 11,320 ft. The Pacific water shed is to the West and the Atlantic water shed is to the East. We took our time to get photos and to get something to eat before resuming our journey.

As you can image if you climb a mountain you get to go down the other side. We coasted for close to 10 miles feathering our brakes to keep the speed below the sound barrier. We had to had to pedal very little get to the hotel in Salina.

After checking in and getting cleaned up I still felt unusually tired. Several riders, maybe 5 or 6 had been affected by flu like symptoms causing them to take a couple days off from riding. I had been worried that it might get to me. There was no doubt as the symptoms started. I’ll spare you the details. I didn’t go to route rap, or dinner. After talking with Pat and getting her advice, I got some microwave chicken noodle soup from a nearby 7 Eleven and a Sprite. I was able to eat half of it and keep it down. I went to bed with chills, and aches. I didn’t sleep well. My legs felt like spaghetti noodles the next morning. I knew I wouldn’t be able to ride.

Friday June 20

I rode in the support van along with three other riders that were suffering the same discomfort. We traveled through beautiful canyon country along the raging Arkansas River for the first 30 or so miles. Then we popped out into flat prairie terrain. We have left the mountains behind.

The ABB staff took us sick folks straight to Pueblo to the hotel. This was much appreciated. We got into our rooms and rested. I must say 24 hours after noticing the first symptoms I’m feeling much better. I ate a light meal tonight as I watched those who had ridden eat enormous amounts.

The good news is that June 21 is an off day for riding. I expect to be recovered and ready to go the next day.


11 comments:

Jim said...

I'm sorry to hear about your health problems, Jay. I hope you continue to feel better during your rest day so you can ride strong over the high plains. Have more people continued to come down with whatever it was? You guys didn't eat any tomatoes lately did you?

Anonymous said...

Dave M. Said...
You are now on the homeward stretch! Congratulations, Jay on climbing that mountian. I guess you had to pay the price, sorry. Thanks for the interesting blogs.

Anonymous said...

Jim, A total of 9 of the riders have caught the bug. Different intensity for each. I ate a light dinner last ev, and a big breakfast this morning. Feeling much better and will be ready to ride 121 tomorrow.

David, It's great to hear from you. Good to know my old buddy is tuned in! Looking forward to driving the big truck in Aug.

Ron said...

Jay. Congratulations on the big climb. Breaking it into parts is a good strategy, but it still was grueling. You must be bummed about missing a day's ride, but are wise to rest and recover for the next push. Regards, Ron

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you are feeling better now! Have a great 120 miles tomorrow!

Love,
Allison

Anonymous said...

You sounded so much better last night.....happy you are "back in the saddle again."!

Anonymous said...

We miss you at small group! Good to hear that your back in the saddle feeling better. You have given me hope that you will want to do this again- to makle up for that segment you missed, so maybe I can be along the next time.

Continue to travel safely and in health.

John Bowman

Anonymous said...

Hey Jay,
I don't have much to say other than that we're all missing one person at our small group tonight! But Pat looks well--I think she's figure out how to get along without you for these couple of weeks--so no worry there for you! Glad you're feeling better. Keep rolling safely! Hazel

Anonymous said...

Jay,
It's great to get updates and hear about some of your stories! What an experience that will always be with you. We look forward to hearing more in person and seeing great pictures with wonderful scenery! Hope you continue to find success as you journey on.
Blessings and prayers are with you.
Rachel B.

Anonymous said...

Jay,
Enjoyed getting the updates of your trip. We miss you at small group tonight. I am glad to hear that you are having a great experience riding through the states. We wish you the best as you continue East!
Blessings,
Rich B.

Anonymous said...

Jay
I will try this again. I didn't do it right the first time. We were talking about you and how you are doing. Sounds like a great experience. I think the best solution to saddle soreness is to go naked whenever possible. OR you could wear a dress without underwear(either one will get a little attantion)
Patti