Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Erie, PA to Hamburg, NY

It was a cool clear morning and we were leaving Erie, PA and would be entering into another state, New York, on the way to our destination. It would be 81 miles to Hamburg, NY, just South of Buffalo. Most of the route followed the shore of Lake Erie and provided many nice views with Vineyards and Lake Erie as a backdrop.

I had been struggling with saddle discomfort for sometime and it had worsened at the end of the 5 day stretch which ended in Erie. I am not alone with this problem. I don’t know if the cause is my bike seat or what, but I suspect it is the cumulative effect of sitting on that bike seat for over 3,000 miles with very little rest time to recover.

I could write a book on the causes and remedies. But I’ll spare you. Once word got out that I was suffering, others would ask me what I’m doing to address it and would share their ideas. Some offered to share what they were using to prevent the problem. I wasn’t sure I would be able to ride today. With the day off and some rest I prepared to ride.

I told Rick who I’ve ridden with most days that I was going to ride alone in an attempt to find a pace that I would be comfortable. Or at least be able to complete the ride. So I began the day riding by myself. I poked along enjoying the scenery. I rode a while with Tom and Susan. I stopped more frequently to take photos. It was a beautiful day and I was feeling relatively comfortable. I rode a while near John and Amy. Skip came up and rode beside me and inquired about my condition. I was actually a little tired talking about it. Skip told me that he had been struggling with seat comfort also and related that he had two blisters.

After arriving at the only SAG stop of the day at 47 miles, I took this picture of Andy Hiroshima and his cool Seven bike with Carbon fiber 620 wheels.

I saw Rick there and he said he heard that there was a Dairy Queen about 4 miles from the hotel. Rick has been known to start rumors that don’t necessarily come true. After fueling up I departed. I had eaten two oatmeal cookies on the way to the first stop and had one left for the rest of the route. I added some Fritos to my bag and headed out to finish the ride or at least make it to the DQ.

On the way I saw this cool Dodger Challenger retro version that chrysler has produced. I had seen pictures in magazines, but this was parked in a dealers lot. I couldn't resist. It takes me back to the late 60's when I had a cool 68 Plymouth Barracuda.

Sure enough there was a DQ, about 2 miles from the hotel. I pulled in and there were 5 bikes already parked outside. It was Skip, Don, Jose, Kip and CJ enjoying refreshing treats. I ordered a Strawberry milkshake and joined them.

After finishing our rewards we finished the last couple miles to the hotel together, arriving about 2:00 PM.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

A tough day is always brightened by a strawberry milkshake! Look forward to seeing you Monday night!

Marianne said...

Jay Phil and I are reading your blog and following
you on your adventure.

You are doing great! I wonder how it can be done.

Soon you are home and all will be well.

We congratulate you on your accomplishment
and thank you for letting us share your dream.

Stay well.
Marianne and Phil

matt said...

Pops,

I think it was smart to keep your own pace. Can't believe you're in NY already. Keep pluggin'!

Anonymous said...

I'm a friend of Allison and Mark -- and Marianne and Phil -- and embarassed to say that tonight was the first night I opened your blog.

MY HAT IS OFF TO YOU! I enjoy a bike ride myself, but 20 miles or so on mostly level, paved bike paths, is what I think of as a workout. To do a century two days in a row, or climb up the mountain passes out west is beyond my imagination. And then to get back on the bike the next day, and day after day... .

I used to be in awe of the Tour de France riders for keeping it up for three weeks. But tomorrow morning, when I'm watching them, I'll be thinking of you and your cohorts, who have been on the road a lot longer than they have.

Jim said...

Right On, Jay!

You are on the home stretch now!. Great pix from the lakeshore! You should have some really easy days in New York, especially in a couple of days when you are on a bike path much of the day. (good ice-cream prospects just before Troy) Once out of New York, you will find some hills, but based on your hilly route through the midwest, you should be very well prepared. Riding at your own pace seems like a great strategy at this point. I hope the weather stays good for you.

Anonymous said...

Good job, Jay, in picking a strategy that fits the moment. As Rick wrote on earlier this week, it is good sometimes to stop and hear the quiet (or taste the milkshake!).

BTW, my '60's vintage Plymouth was my first car, a '67 Valiant. Not quite a 'cuda!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jay,

I'm a friend of Allison and Mark. Your journey has been totally inspirational for me. It reminds me of a wonderful movie where I'm pulling for the hero to win glory. Keep it up, you're almost there... and what I wouldn't give to eat as many milkshakes and doritos as I like!!

Linda K.

Ron said...

Jay. Ouch! The pain of reading the saddle woes is nothing compared to what you are enduring. I can imagine you contemplating some time off the bike and out of the saddle when you complete the trip. //Ron

Anonymous said...

Jay-

Sounds like the day worked out better for you at your own pace. And you were rewarded with some great photos.

Thanks for the Challenger picture! Randy Steck was talking with me about the version at the last Pedal the Peninsula, and I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about! It's nice to have the picture in my head now for my next 'car talk' w/ Randy.

Only a few short days left! We're looking forward to grilling up some steaks and having some of the Moyer's corn to celebrate your return. (The corn is fantastic!)

Good luck in the last few days! See you soon.
Kristy

Anonymous said...

Jay -

You are an inspiration! Thanks for sharing your travels with everyone. We bought bikes and kayaks and are active in our own way, but you're superman! Great job!! Who knew this is what they meant by retirement! Isn't it wonderful?! I hope to see you at one of the retiree events.

Maxine