Friday, July 4, 2008

Quincy to Springfield


Our route covered 106 miles today and we left with the temperature at 63 degrees. It warmed to the upper 70’s by the end of the ride. Great temp and Blue sky.
We at breakfast at the hotel at 6:00 and loaded at 6:45. Rick and I were on the road before 7:00 AM. We had fewer hills today. It was nice to have more flat terrain especially since the wind was in our face. The wind increased later in our day slowing our progress some. Rick, Carol Jean, and I partnered up at the first rest stop and rode together the rest of the day. Three of us riding together taking turns in the lead helped us maintain a reasonable pace. We have ridden together before. Our pace and style of riding are quite compatible.

Today is 4rth of July and the ABB staff asked us to wear our America By Bike jerseys in the spirit of the holiday. Also they announced a bike decorating contest for the 4rth. This morning several bikers had found decorations and came dressed and bike dressed for the occasion. It was interesting how that Richard from Ireland came with a cape decorate with red white and blue stars. Alan from England came dressed in the British union jack. Steve from Tasmania and Srage from Trinidad had their bikes decorated.

We saw lots of corn and soy beans. The fields stretched to the horizon. Some of the corn appears to be about 7 feet tall. We crossed the Illinois river over a narrow two lane bridge. I was worried about cars but no cars crossed the bridge while we were crossing.

When we came into Springfield, the Illinois state capital we rode by the capital building. Preparations were being made for 4rth of July celebrations as we rode by.

It was great to ride on the new tires today. I didn’t worry about having another flat. Girard the mechanic installed the tires for me. He recommended that I install a new chain since it had stretched in the 2,500 miles I put on the bike since starting the trip. I had him install the new chain.

Tomorrow we ride 97 miles to Champagne. After that comes Indiana! I’m looking forward to seeing my cousin Wade Wenger and his wife Eunice in Indianapolis. They are going to drive from northern Indiana to see me.

We are 34 days into this 52 day trip. That means 18 days before I get to see Pat, Allison, and Mark in New Hampshire. I do miss my family.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy 4th, Dad! We miss you too, and are looking forward to seeing you soon! Glad you've got the new tires on and can ride without flat worries. May you have sunshine and tailwinds the rest of the way!

Allison

Anonymous said...

Happy 4th and safe traveling wishes from our friends and neighbors on Steuben Dr.
Am I going to see that ponytail I have been waiting for???
Contrary to Matt's comment...don't cut.