Monday, July 21, 2008

Brattleborro, Vermont to Manchester New Hampshire

Today was another damp start to the day. It rained quite a lot after we arrived yesterday and the roads were wet and the air heavy with moisture. The clouds were low and threatening.

I left the hotel with Rick, Amy and John and rode with them until we encountered the really significant hills, some with double digit grades. My GPS showed 18% at one point. The name of the road was Sullivan road, it should have been called heart break hills road. I went for it, and was the 4rth person to arrive at the first SAG stop at 27 miles. These miles were extremely difficult because of the steep ups and downs. We had one section of dirt road that was very steep mostly down hill. My friend Jim had warned me about this since it’s apparently the same section he rode in 2005. As I was refueling people started arriving, some looking to be on the edge of exhaustion. It was a two banana stop, I usually only have one banana at SAG stops but today required a little extra. We still had 60 miles to go.

I grabbed a couple of trail bars and I was off, Alan had left just before me. I don’t think he was feeling well because I don’t usually keep up with him. When we came to more climbing I passed him. All the time I thought some of the faster riders will soon pass me.

After another 35 miles I arrived at the second SAG stop and was the 3rd person to check in. They had fresh blueberries in cups. I gobbled down two cups, they were delicious and sweet. I ate some salty fritos, topped off my water supply, grabbed a bag of fig newtons and was off. All I could think about was that maybe Pat, Allison and Mark would be t the hotel when I arrived. I was very eager for this reunion. I pushed on to finish the last 25 miles. It has been a cool day with light rain off and on.

Surprisingly I was the third rider to arrive at the hotel. George and Larry from Colorado are always the first to arrive. As I was turning into the hotel lot I could see Pat and Allison standing there waiting for my arrival.

What a wonderful reunion. After hugs and kisses they asked me if I would like some pizza. You know what the answer was.

I also met my buddy Rick’s family. His Wife, Father, Brother and Niece were awaiting his arrival. We hung out and welcomed other riders as they arrived.

The riders that I talked to agreed that this was one of the more difficult days because of the steep climbing. My GPS indicated a cumulative climb figure of 6,475 feet.

Tonight we will have the last meal together as a group of riders. Family members will be joining us for this meal. It will be a time to share our reflections of the tour with our fellow riders and their families.

Tomorrow we will ride the final 62 miles to Portsmouth and the Atlantic Ocean. Then it’s over.
Here's the remaining result of my crash back in Kansas. Might have to have that looked at by John Bowman when I get home.


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Only 62 Miles to go. Bet you will be the first one to the finish line. Look forwarding to reading about your last miles to complete your "Dream" go Jay go!
frieda and don

Anonymous said...

Alright Jay! It sounds like today was an exciting day topped off with a happy reunion! You have done an outstanding job of rising to the challenges you encountered on your trip, keeping a positive attitude, and finishing with a flourish. It sounds like you were really riding strong today! It reminds me of the way our pony "Tony" would speed up as we returned to his barn when we were riding him as kids. You have yet again made me proud of my "big" brother.

Have a fun and safe last day of riding tomorrow and I hope to see you soon.

Anonymous said...

Dear Dad,

I am sad that everybody could come see you, and I'm left here, sleeping away on my cushion. Oh well, I will be spoiled for the next 2 days, and I have a fresh batch of trees to lift my leg on.

See you soon!

Bailey

Marianne said...

Jay, only one more day left!

We are glad you are back safe and hope all goes
well tomorrow.

You are our hero!

Marianne and Phill

Nancy Walker said...

What an accomplishment, Jay. We have been following your progress. Congratulations! Bob and Nancy

Anonymous said...

We're cheering for you! Finish this last day with gusto. What an accomplishment....and memories that will last a lifetime. Way to go!!!

Ray and Chris

Anonymous said...

Jay,

Your family's smiling faces made me smile too.

And contrats are in order for your amazing accomplishment! I will miss reading of your adventures first thing in the morning. Afterwards, we should swap stories of our biking, because it's always an adventure. Take care.....

matt said...

That look of joy on your face is priceless. Wish I could have been there.

How was the pizza?

Anonymous said...

Jay, congratulations. I am in awe!

Bruce Yoder

Anonymous said...

Hi Jay,
I tried to send this once, don't think it went through. You set a goal for yourself, had a dream, you stayed focused, worked hard and achieved what you set out to do. Congratualtions, we are excited and happy for you. We have enjoyed reading your daily blog and seeing your pictures.
Enjoy resting, you have earned it! :)
Wayne & Carol

Anonymous said...

Jay,
Congratulations on a dream come true! What a delight to be reunited with family after such a long journey! So glad you could accomplish what you set out to do!
Blessings,
Rachel and Rich

Unknown said...

Congrats on an unbelievable journey!

Carolyn Duff said...

Congratulations Jay!

What an accomplishment! Those memories of what you have done, the places you have been and people you met are priceless.

Carolyn Duff

Ron said...

Jay. Congratulations on your strong ride today. //Ron