Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Hamburg to Canandiagua










Today a Bicycle museum a short distance off our route was on the agenda. This is a private bicycle collection and it was impressive. The owner had been contacted by the ABB staff and agreed to open at 7:30 AM for a guided tour. Most of the bike group took advantage of this opportunity.

The owner had been collecting bikes for over 35 years. He had a copy of the first bicycle which was made in Europe (Germany, I believe) and many other bicycles that showed the evolution of the design and engineering of this alternative to the horse and precursor to the car.

The bicycle that we often see with the large front wheel was infamous for dumping the rider off headfirst if the wheel hit a rock or rut. This resulted in an accident called a header. I can imagine the damage that could result since the rider sat so high on the bike and I guess helmets were not worn. All of my photos for the day are from the bike museum. If you ever visit this area a visit to the museum would be well worth your time. Here is the web address http://www.pedalinghistory.com/

The Museum visit took about an hour and I was itching to resume pedaling since this was going to be another long day of 97 miles. Again I decided to reduce my pace and go for the comfort zone and rode by myself most of the day. After riding about 25 miles I could see dark clouds in the North which was the direction that we were headed for the first part of the route. Soon I saw numerous bolts of lightening and heard thunder closing in on my path. I hadn’t taken a jacket today since I hadn’t heard any forecast for rain. As the thunder got closer I also thought of my cell phone, wallet, and camera which were unprotected if it started to rain. I also thought of my safety and comfort from lightening and rain. I was about two miles from the first SAG stop at 33 miles when it started raining. There was a group of about 6 riders a ways ahead of me. I saw a restaurant with a covered porch opening which would fit a bike and me so I turned into the parking lot and went into the sheltered area. I quickly placed my cell phone, camera, wallet and watch in a baggy that I carry in my fanny pack for an occasion like this. It was a fast moving storm and was heading east, which was the way I would be heading after the next turn. In a few minutes it let up slightly so I continued on to the SAG stop which was located in a gas/convenience store lot. Other bicyclers were already there with bikes parked under the roof overhang of the convenience store. I used the store’s facilities, then refilled water bottles and got food to refill the fuel tank and extras to take with me.

After 10 or 15 minutes the storm had moved east and skies were looking brighter. Gradually groups of riders headed out. I finally left as well. Eventually the roads dried and the sun came out. It was quite humid. I eventually came up on John and Amy working on a flat tire. Later I came up on the group that Rick was riding with, two of the riders were fixing flats. Rick was helping Skip fix his first flat of the trip. Skip had a total of three flats today. I guess he making up for earlier missed opportunities.

I arrive and checked in at the hotel in Canandaigua at about 3:00 PM. My total mileage for the day was 97. This town is in the Finger Lakes area of New York and is located next to Canandaigua Lake. The Finger Lakes support a lot of pleasure boating.

I am encouraged by some improvement in the saddle soreness. I was relatively comfortable until the last 15 miles which had more hills. The combination of the treatments and the reduced riding pace seem to be effective. I will continue with this approach.

Response to comments:

It’s so good to hear from all of you. For my family and friends I look forward to a personal reunion when I return. To those that I have never met, I’m happy to share my journey with you. If chance allows us to meet in person at some future time, I would be delighted.

5 comments:

Ron said...

Jay. A RABA meeting will be a good venue for you and Rick to tell us about your odyssey.

Thank for the bicycle museum photos. //Ron

matt said...

Good to hear that you were more comfortable. Only a few more days, Pedalswift!

Anonymous said...

It's good to hear that you have found a way to deal with the physical effects of your long bike trip. How is your energy level holding up now that you're trying to eat more frequently? I expect that slowing your pace a little and not pushing as hard probably helps too.

We're looking forward to getting more trip stories in person after your return.

Anonymous said...

Jay,

I've been hearing a bit about your amazing journey from Allison. It's great to be able to read some of your blog and feel like I'm a little bit a part of it. Congratulations on making it this far, and here's wishing you strength and courage for the final stretch!

Karen (Longacher) Minatelli

Anonymous said...

Hi Jay!
This is truly an impressive adventure you are on! I'm thrilled for you. You really must be proud of yourself as well! Keep pressing on - the finish line is almost in sight!