Saturday, July 19, 2008

Little Falls to Latham

Today as I left the hotel in Little Falls, the air was heavy with moisture. We rode in the mist of the morning’s cool foggy air. It was very pleasant conditions during the morning, but got pretty hot and humid after noon.

We followed route 5 which mostly followed the train track which followed the Mohawk River. The route took a path mostly through the valleys of the increasing foothills. Most of the hills were gradual grades. We went through the small town of Fonda where I took a photo of an interesting building. Then we went through Amsterdam which I’m sure has no resemblance to the original version in Netherlands. I’ll have to check with Piet and Hetty.

I got into the zone and missed a turn at 50 miles and didn’t discover it until I was two miles past. I had to retrace my path back to the intersection where I should have turned. This added 4 miles to my day. Once back on route I went through the small town of Rotterdam and then was directed to a bike path which ran along the Mohawk River. I stopped to take a picture of some pleasure boats I noticed on the river. While I was getting the picture I notice a bush along the path with little round red berries, they looked like they would be tasty, I think you can see them if you click on the photo. Also, while taking the photo a snake slithered across the trail. I didn't get at pic of that.



I finally made it to the second SAG stop at Jumpin Jacks Drivein. It was located on the river front just outside the city of Schenectady. I remember that a former work associate at Dominion, Don Chapman was from Schenectady. The drivein was a welcome stop since it had gotten quite hot and was about 12:30 PM, a good time to get a hot dog and a large iced drink.

After getting refreshed I continued on my way to complete the 20 miles to the hotel. The majority of this was on the bike path. I caught up to John from Seattle again. This must have been about the 5th or 6th time of the day that our paths had crossed. I would catch up to him and pass him and then I would stop at a convenience store or miss a turn and he would be ahead of me again. This time he was stopped at the end of the bike path when I rode up. The directions didn’t synch with our mileage. A home owner drove in there driveway so I asked for directions. Sure enough we had gotten off the bike path and were on a neighborhood path. Together we retraced our paths a short distance to get back on track.

I finished my day at the hotel at 1:50 PM. I had added 4 miles to the mileage with my miss-cues for a total of 80 miles for the day.


Roomate Rick at work on his blog.


While riding today I went through a range of emotions as I thought about the end of the ride being near with only three more days after today. The experiences that I‘ve had are amazing and probably life changing. The new friends that I’ve made have enriched my life. I’ve mentioned before how I’ve missed my family, and friends. I look forward to reconnecting with all, including our pet Shih Tzu Bailey. I’m looking forward to returning to Glen Allen, VA. and reestablishing my daily routine. But first there are three more days of challenging riding to complete!

Response to Previous Comments:

Brother in-law Dennis from Alaska. Thanks for your kind words. Glad to here you are tuned in and find it interesting.

Karen and Sherri from DC, thanks for the encouragement, nothing can stop me now!


11 comments:

Jim said...

Its getting down to the wire! The next three days should be really spectacular as you get into vermont and NH.

I noticed that you seem to have taken a slightly different route today from what we did two years ago. Did you ride a lot on bike trails? We spent most of the day on them, and then ended up across the river in Troy. the motel wasn't much to brag about so maybe that is why they changed.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I was there to see you off in San Fran. and can't wait to welcome and cheer you on in New Hampshire! Amazing journey.
Do you hear Chariots of Fire in the distance?

Anonymous said...

Looks like your adventure is coming to the end of the Road. We are so proud that you are accomplishing your "Dream" many of nver do. Soon you will be home enjoying your family & friend and sharing more details of your "adventure.
Don and I spent some time up in Vermont and NH after Alisons wedding. Wish we could be there to welcome you to your final destination. Would have been nice to meet up with you in your journey but happy that you did meet up with friends along the way.

Good Luck and keep on biking. Frieda and Don

Anonymous said...

Amazing, Jay! And those memories will carry you through forever! Did you like Youngstown? : ) You could have visited P.K.'s hometown 15 minutes away. We used to play Putt Putt Golf in Youngstown.

You're almost home, and Bailey will be waiting for you (with us).

Anonymous said...

Almost there!

If you've managed to acquire a ponytail, I'll bet Pat will set you up with a day at the spa--hot tub, massage, and a soft pillow to sit on.

Go Jay, Go.

Dennis in AK

Anonymous said...

This is my weekend to work and I just had a chance to check up on your latest entry. There will probably be another to read before I leave here at 10 PM. It sounds like you're having a mixture of feelings now--looking forward to finishing the trip but also maybe a little sad to have the end coming up so soon. I will be interested in hearing your insight about preparing for and accomplishing such an epic journey. In looking back over the pictures you shared in your blog, I feel I can just get a hint of the fantastic variety of experiences and memories you must have. You have had quite a geography lesson on our country and at the same time entertained many people by sharing your experiences. Thanks for your hard work on and off the bike!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on what to me would seem, "Mission Impossible" We look forward to seeing you in Richmond again.
Bob Eshleman

Anonymous said...

Congrats! We knew you would accomplish this with the same fervor you approach everything. Have a safe remainder of your trip and we look forward to welcoming you home.

The Hulseys

Anonymous said...

Dear Jay....You are going to come home with "buns of steel" to a wife and pooch who can't wait to greet you! Congratulations on this great adventure. We are really proud of you and really happy for you!!

Ray and Chris Barden

Ron said...

Jay. A lot of people are following you across the country. Keeping a blog is a lot of work. Thanks to you, we are living your trip, enjoying your experience--without all the hard work, of course. You will be happy to have the blog as a record of this peak (no pun intended) experience. Enjoy the last few days of your journey. //Ron

Anonymous said...

Hi Jay,

It's been so fun for us all to keep track of you - your physical progress as well as your observations and insights. Thanks for the great writing job you've done! I'd bet that Denny would be ready in a year or two to do a trek across Virginia with you. What am I saying? He'd be ready next week! Have a happy and safe trip home.

Wendy