Saturday, July 12, 2008

Wooster to Youngstown


Departing Wooster we initially rode through pleasant rolling country side containing a patch work of small farms. At 6 miles, our route sheet directed us to turn left on Rohrer Rd. at the Buckwalter Greenhouse. We had to stop and get a photo with the street sign. My father grew up in Ohio and has relatives in the area. We followed Rohrer Rd. for several miles through the country side. I felt a kinship with the area.

Later in the ride we navigated on some of the roughest roads of the trip. These roads had been patched with asphalt and were mostly patch rather than smooth surface. This occurred for maybe 20 miles. I became very tired of this and would try to stand on the pedals when I could to save the impact on my already unhappy butt. I also slowed my pace to try to reduce the impact. Cars have big rubber tires, springs, shock absorbers, and comfortable seats. Bikes have none of this so every expansion joint, uneven patch, or hole in the road is just waiting to give you a jolt. Traffic was usually light so we would use the whole road to try to find a smooth path, but when cars came behind us we had to ride through the bone jarring surface at the edge of the road. On the bright side, we did have a lot more shade than in previous states, and that will likely continue. Today the temperature reached the 90’s so shade was good!

As we were nearing completion of our ride and were about a mile from the hotel I was leading the way when I heard someone calling my name. I slowed and looked back to see a collection of bikers at an ice cream stop. Rick and I wheeled our bikes back to join them. I had a very good strawberry milkshake. It was so refreshing after riding 94 miles.

I got a call from my brother in Harrisonburg tonight. He turned on the speaker phone and my parents were there along with my daughter and son in-law. It was great to talk to them and receive encouragement.

Tomorrow 97 miles takes us to Erie, Pa. where we get a much needed rest day on Monday!

9 comments:

Shriram Kalagi said...

Hi Jay,

I have been reading your blogs. Your road trip is just amazing. Now I know why you were keen on retiring. We will plan to meet once you are back in Richmond.

Enjoy :)

Ron said...

Jay, It hurt just to read your account of the bone-jarring road; it must have been a nightmare for you riders.

Since leaving Richmond you made a three-hour time zone change. Your cross-country ride has crossed three time zones to bring you back to Eastern Time. Bike lag must be much easier to adjust to than jet lag.

Dave Bloor conducted a RABA time trial today and I participated--my first. Seven riders did the ten-mile run, two of them in time-trial regalia, including teardrop helmets.

At the cool down ride that followed, we talked about yours and Rick's blogs. Pat said he looks forward to reading the blogs each night. In addition to family and friends, you have a RABA audience. //Ron

Anonymous said...

Jay,

If your energy level is low after the first SAG, try switching to eating some Peanut Butter on Bagel, or bread. The protein and fat will probably help. I usually have some several times during the day. I find it really keeps my energy level up.

Mark L.

Anonymous said...

BTW,

I forgot to mention that I ate every hour, hungary or not, while riding. You should be taking in about3,000 to 4,000 calories more than normal. So make sure you're getting food in between the SAGs

Unknown said...

Mr. Rohrer,

Enjoy Erie while you're there. My dad was born and raised there, and July is about the only time of year when it's not cold and snowy! I haven't been since high school, but I recall it being a quaint little town with a nice view of Lake Erie to the north.

Keep up the good riding!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jay, for your kind words. I have been living vicariously through your (and Rick's) blogs. I'm sure it must sometimes be a chore to wrie after a long day of biking, but it is much appreciated. I now realize that if I ever do this myself, I'll have to increae my average speed by 5-10mph! Spin class, here I come!

matt said...

Dad,

I enjoyed the writeup. Unfortunately you can't increase the size of the Rohrer Road picture by clicking on it.

We got all the corn prepared and there is a load waiting for you to eat when you return.

Anonymous said...

Jay:

I've been neglecting your blog but thinking about you often. It looks like you are nearing the home stretch. Wow. Your words will be weightier at the next Pedal the Peninsula meeting.

Patti Hulsey is our nurse at camp this week. Fortunately we will not be biking and will need no remedies for saddle soreness.

Keep on Keepin' on! We will pray for your safety today in our staff meeting at WCRC.

Blessings!

Bob

Anonymous said...

Jay:

Paul Fisher Here:

We in Denbigh have followed your chronicles since Dave Moyer told us about your amazing trip. Back when you just entered CO.

Hazel and I just finished driving to Ketchikan, Alaska, 4,300 miles April and May. It pales in comparison to your trials and joys of hard travel.

I do remember in 1962 when we both ran down Miller Road and neither of us won. So we tied as 3rd cousins.

Go For the Alantic Ocean, then head for south of the Mason Dixon Line.

Write a Book.


Paul and Hazel Fisher